Monday, April 21, 2008

A recipe and a review

Spring has arrived here, but this winter lover is just not ready for it. I needed one more batch of creamy, thick, potatoey goodness to warm my life. It's 70 and sunny, but I've had a cold and my eyes are killing me from the congestion in my sinuses, and I had a small container of mashed potatoes from the roast chicken I made last week (the carcass went into make the stock I used) so potato soup it was. When I was in university, in the northern throes of the Upper Peninsula, my roommate, Brooke, would throw together a wonderfully thick potato soup from her mom's recipe collection. Tonight, I thought of her when I made my soup, and threw in (very moldy but generously trimmed) bit of Tintern. The lovely green specks of chive brought just enough spring to the party. I can also add that melted, it takes on a whole new character, bringing a mild Raclette to mind.

Today's cheese: Crandale. This lovely bit of goodness comes to us once again from England, this time the nice, creative folks at Ilchester. I've had a few of their cheeses, and I swear each to be my favorite.

Crandale
Origin: Ilchester, Somerset, England
Type: cow's milk
Age: Don't know
Texture: Semisoft.
Rind: Wax (cranberry red, of course)
Cost : $12.99/lb
Impressions: This tasty morsel is Wensleydale with cranberry bits. It's not as sharp as some Wensleydales I've had, bit drier than the Tintern. Mildly sweet, bit of tartness from the cranberry. The website recommends port as a wine pairing, and I can't wait to try this. Would also lend itself well to a smoked turkey hors'dourve, or crumbled over a salad. The Ilchester site has recipes as well - the Wensleydale and Cranberry dip would be perfect for Thanksgiving.




Coming soon, per request from across the Pond: a Comte.

No comments: