Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Cheese is indeed for snacking!

I'm pretty sure I've mentioned it before, but I love Whole Foods for their "Cheese is for Snacking" bin. Small little bits of cheese, about 2oz each. It's a great way to try new cheeses without breaking the bank.

Yesterday I stopped to sample, and came home with 4 cheeses. One was the Wensleydale Crandale, which is a favorite of mine. Another, the one that I am snacking on now, is a Double Gloucester. With a lovely golden color and a natural rind, it's a very well-balanced cheese. Creamy and a bit crumbly, similar to a hard cheddar. At first bite there was a hint of blue to it, but after a bite of apple, it became more buttery and less sharp. The apple is a gala, and I think it would do better against something a bit more tart, or some slightly sour grapes. As you move outward on the slice, towards the edges of the wheel, the blue taste becomes more prominent and consistent.

Overall, a very diverse cheese for very diverse moods!

No comments: