Sunday, December 14, 2008

And a Happy Festivus to All!

Where has the time gone? Mid-December already? Well, I'll take it - one day closer to winter break, one day closer to my spring break trip to London and Ireland. Yes, I'm a snob. My spring break will be spent in London and Dublin. You can cry for me. ;-)

Not many straight cheeses through the House of Trudi lately, mainly due to a catering gig that had me jumping and dancing in my kitchen, performing feats of strength worthy of Festivus as I cooked appetizers for 60 people. The big hit of the party, as usual, was the Gorgonzola Fruit Torta. Somewhat of a legend in my circles, this layered cheese spread is easy to assemble, freezes well, and is always devoured. So, in the holiday spirit of giving, I present the recipe. My gift to you.

Gorgonzola Fruit Torta

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Appetizers

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
16 ounces cream cheese -- softened
4 ounces Gorgonzola cheese -- crumbled
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1/4 cup green onion -- chopped
1/4 cup parsley
1/2 cup dried apricots -- chopped
1/4 cup slivered almonds -- toasted

Cut up cream cheese. Place in a food processor (or mixer, or, if you want to skip your gym workout, by hand) with Gorgonzola and mix until smooth. Line an 8" by 4" loaf pan with saran wrap (I use a cereal bowl). Layer the following ingredients in order:
Nuts
1/4 cream cheese mixture
Cranberries
1/4 cream cheese mixture
green onion and parsley
1/4 cream cheese mixture
apricots
1/4 cream cheese mixture

Use a small spatula greased with cooking spray to spread cream cheese mixture easily over other ingredients without mixing (or, do as I do and use your wet hands). Cover and chill until firm. Turn uncovered pan upside down on a serving plate and remove wrap very gently. Serve with crackers.

No comments: